Tuesday, June 9, 2020

2020-06-03 Slickrock Creek Waterfalls

Slickrock Creek Waterfalls
with Jenni Johnson
Wildcat Falls and Lower Falls on Slickrock Creek
Joyce Kilmer / Slickrock Wilderness
Graham County, NC
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2020

Jenni and Me at Lower Falls on Slickrock Creek

Over the past two years I have been helping my friend Jenni become the first deaf person to complete the North Carolina 500 waterfall challenge.  She is now down to less than ten waterfalls left to achieve her goal!

The waterfalls on Slickrock Creek brought me to an area of North Carolina that I have not been to before!  Since it is a long drive from Spartanburg, we decided to camp the evening before.  We set up camp at one of the primitive roadside campsites in the Nantahala National Forest right next to the Stewart Cabin.  (Campsite #A7)

Our Campsite (#A7)

The Stewart Cabin

We had no cell service at the campsite.  However, I still needed to contact my buddy Scott and my wife Amy.  So after setting up camp I drove back towards Robbinsville to pick up a cell signal.  Afterwards I made a quick stop to check out the sunset!  

 Amazing Sunset


Campfire


Jenni retired fairly early to sleep in her SUV.  I felt a need to stay up a little later and finish burning all the firewood I brought and take a few night photos before retiring to my tent.

Campsite at Night


We broke camp by 7:00am, dropped my truck off at the Lower Trailhead off of Hwy 129, and took Jenni's SUV to the starting point at Big Fat Gap!

One thing I failed to realize the day before is that Graham County is one of the few places in North Carolina that is still dry!  As a result, I was unable to restock my beer supply at the Robbinsville Ingles as originally planned.  It worked out well, because Jenni is a non-drinker and I didn't want to head this way alone!

 The Hangover Trail - I avoided heading this way!


There are at least 4 different trails heading off from Big Fat Gap, so make sure you know which trailhead you are looking for or you could start hiking in the wrong direction (LOL).  After a bit of mild confustion, we started out on the Big Fat Trail (#41) and hiked that down to the Slickrock Trail (#42).


Two went in - The Big Fat Trail




We ran into a large group (about 20 humans) from SAWS (Southern Appalachian Wilderness Stewards camping out and doing trail maintenance near the Big Fat and Slickrock Trail intersection.  Since power tools are not allowed in wilderness areas, they were doing all the work with hand tools, manual saws, and axes.    


Jenni at the first creek crossing  
(the SAWS campsite is in the background)

The Big Fat Trail was easy to follow and mostly downhill.  I can't say the same for the Slickrock Trail!.   Some people consider the Slickrock trail to be one of the most difficult trails in North Carolina.  It is very difficult to follow in places and crosses the creek at least a dozen times, most of which require wading knee to waist deep water.

Many people hate trails like this, but I loved it!

Another interesting note is that Slickrock Creek forms the border of North Carolina / Tennessee.  Therefore every time we crossed the creek, we switched states.

 Jenni Crossing Slickrock Creek

 The Upper section of Wildcat Falls on Slickrock Creek

  The Upper section of Wildcat Falls on Slickrock Creek

 Jenni at Wildcat Falls on Slickrock Creek

 Jenni Photographing Wildcat Falls on Slickrock Creek

Pretty little cascade on Slickrock Creek

 Jenni Crossing Slickrock Creek

 Jenni on the Slickrock Creek Trail

 Lower Falls on Slickrock Creek

Lower Falls on Slickrock Creek


Once the trail leaves Slickrock Creek it turns sharply to the east and rises above Calderwood Lake.  The trail gets much easier to follow, but it is a very narrow track which traverses alongside a very steep slope.  There are definitely some rather sketchy spots!

I spotted a large Rattlesnake on the trail ahead.  Normally, I would just snap a few photos from a distance and find a way around keeping safe distance.  This time there was no safe way around, so I poked the snake with my hiking pole!  That started off the loudest rattle I have ever heard from a snake, but it also had the desired effect and cause it to slither off the trail.

Rattlesnake Crossing

Shortly after our Rattlesnake encounter, we passed another couple hiking in from the opposite direction who said they also said they saw a Rattlesnake.  I was on high alert for the remainder of the hike which proved to be uneventful! 

The Lower Slickrock Creek Trailhead

While this hike is definitely not for everyone, I definitely enjoyed it!

My complete set of photos is posted here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8146392@N05/albums/72157714647733341







No comments:

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!