Thursday, March 18, 2021

2021-03-12 Mountain Cat Falls and Roundtop Mountain

Mountain Cat Falls, Roundtop Mountain Passage,
and the Carolina Hemlock Loop
Jocassee Gorges Wildlife Management Area
Pickens County, SC
Friday, March 12th, 2021

Roundtop Mountain Selfie with Sean overlooking Rock Mountain


I am happy to say that Amy and I received our COVID-19 shots on Thursday, March 11th, 2021.   We both received the Johnson & Johnson one dose Janssen vaccine.

In hindsight, I would not recommend planning a hike for the day after vaccination.  However, my buddy Sean had a rare weekday off and we decided to get together for a hike.
 
We parked and started from US178 near Rocky Bottom, SC and hiked the gated forest service road to Mountain Cat Falls.
Mountain Cat Falls

Selfie with Sean at Mountain Cat Falls

Mountain Cat Falls
 
We continued to the east and turned north on the Roundtop Mountain Passage of the Palmetto Trail.  While I never felt sick from my Covid shot, I definitely felt far more fatigue than normal.  The 1,000 foot climb in elevation felt significantly more exhausting than when I hiked it a few months prior.

View of Rock Mountain from Roundtop Mountain


From the Palmetto Trail, we did the new Carolina Hemlock Loop Trail.  Its a nice, well constructed trail, but I was hoping for some better views.  There are definitely some rocky cliffs that I would like to explore, but decided that didn't seem like the safe thing to do since I was running out of energy.

View from the Carolina Hemlock Loop
(note:  We had to do a bit of scrambling to get any views)


I had also planned to try and get to Rock Palace Falls, but decided to save that for another day as well.

Here is the GPS track from our hike:



Afterwards, Sean took me to see a small waterfall that he found while hunting a few years ago.   A pretty little drop that would probably be even more impressive with a little more water flow.
 
SCC Falls


Despite not feeling 100%, I enjoyed my day out on the forest with Sean.  And by Saturday, I was completely over any ill effects from my COVID-19 vaccine!

My complete set of photos is posted here:

No comments:

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!