Saturday, May 16, 2009

The End of a Dirt Road

For many generations my wife Amy’s family has owned a large chunk of property in rural Rutherford County, NC. I have always enjoyed my visits there. Driving up the dirt road almost seemed like taking a step back in time.

Amy’s parents still own the property, but last weekend is the last time we will ever experience driving up that dirt road to get to their home. This week the dirt road is being paved with asphalt.

I am a little disappointed since the pavement will take a little bit away from the charm of the land. On the plus side, no more endless road dust on the vehicles, and paved roads do tend to increase property values.

Anyway, here are a few photos from our visit this past weekend:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/572044224QBKVJr

1 comment:

James Robert Smith said...

Nice photos. Amazing that Amy's family has lived in that one place for so long! I hope no one ever demolishes the remains of the old foundation of the ancestors.

How many acres do they have?

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!