Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Waterfalls of the Horsepasture River

Waterfalls of the Horsepasture River

Dayhike with Andy and Boone
Saturday, January 9th, 2009

Photos are posted here:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/576285461KpyVyk

Crazy People Wanted

Last week I received an eMail from Andy, one of my hiking buddies entitled, "Crazy People Wanted". He was suggesting going for a hike on what was forecasted to be one of the coldest days of the winter. I guess I fall into the category of Crazy People, because I immediately said that I was up for it.

Johnny, who is also known to be the crazy type responded as well and came up with the suggestion to do the Waterfalls of the Horsepasture River. The main attraction of this hike is the spectacular Rainbow Falls, which in my opinion is one of greatest waterfalls anywhere and should be on the must see list for anyone who is capable of doing a moderate 5 mile round trip hike!



Rainbow Falls with a Rainbow


According to Kevin Adams, "North Carolina Waterfalls" book, "My favorite time to visit Rainbow Falls is during heavy water flow, on a clear winter morning after a period of below-freezing temperatures. The heavy spray freezes on everything it touches and creates an icy spectacle."

With a very wet winter season, and looking at the weather forecast we might just be able to experience exactly what Kevin Adams described!

Unfortunately, Johnny came down with a cold and backed out at the last minute, so it would just be Me, Andy, and Andy's trusty canine companion Boone.

Weather Forecast for Hike Day: Low of 8-degrees, high of 26-degrees, chance of snow showers in the morning, clearing and sunny in the afternoon. Needless to say, I was prepared with a full arsenal of cold weather hiking gear.



The trail covered with icy spray from Rainbow Falls

Andy has already completed an excellent trip report, so rather than go through all the details of our hike, I am just going to post the link to Andy's report:

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/NC/Jocassee/Gorges_SP_1-10.html



My photos are posted here:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/576285461KpyVyk

1 comment:

James Robert Smith said...

Someday when I don't have this damnable day job, I'll be able to join you guys on weekends!

Amazing icy photos!

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!