Sunday, February 28, 2010

Myrtle Beach, SC

Myrtle Beach and Murrells Inlet, SC

Saturday, February 27th, 2010

Photos are posted here:


Out of all the beaches that I have been to, Myrtle Beach, SC is by far my least favorite. So when Amy informed me that we were going to Myrtle Beach with her family to celebrate her Mom's birthday, I was not all that excited. At least we would be going during the off season and it would only be for a short weekend.

Myrtle Beach is just like I remembered it and I really don't have anything good to say about the town. However, 15 miles south is a quaint little town called Murrells Inlet that I have been wanting to check out. So that would be our destination for Saturday.

Since I was awake before Amy, I decided to head out to the beach to catch a Myrtle Beach Sunrise. Unfortunately I forgot that we were a bit further east and that the sun rises about 20 minutes earlier here, so I missed the sunrise by a few minutes. I did get a couple of good shots shortly after sunrise.


Myrtle Beach Sunrise

Amy was up and about by the time I got back to our room. We decided not to wait around for the rest of her family to get their act together and just headed out on our own. We would catch back up with them later.

After a nice breakfast at one of many Myrtle Beach pancake restaurants we hit the road towards Murrells Inlet. Now this is more my idea of what a beach town should be like!

We took a nice little stroll along the "Marsh Walk" which was very enjoyable and then headed on to Huntington Beach State Park.

Amy really wanted to visit "Atalaya", the former winter home and studio of noted American sculptor Anna Hyatt Huntington. Very interesting and well worth the visit!
Inside Atalaya


We explored around the park a little more before heading on back to join up with Amy's family. For dinner, they decided they wanted to go to Murrell's Inlet where we enjoyed some excellent seafood at "The Inlet Crabhouse". After dinner we took another stroll along the Marsh Walk.

Amy's Dad, Bubba Love, and Me at Murrells Inlet


In typical Myrtle Beach style, in addition to about ten swimming pools and three lazy rivers, our hotel also had a bowling alley! So later that evening we just had to take advantage of the hours worth of free bowling that included with the room rental. I won't go into how that turned out.

It was nice to get away for a weekend! I still don't like Myrtle Beach, but the Murrells Inlet area is very nice and worth a return visit. I would like to come back a visit Brookgreen Gardens, and also check out Georgetown and Pawley's Island.

Additional Photos are posted here:


1 comment:

James Robert Smith said...

I also cannot stand Myrtle Beach. I don't understand the appeal of that hellhole.

However, I love Huntington Beach State Park. Whenever I've found that I have to endure Myrtle Beach, I get away from there as fast as I can and drive south to Huntington Beach.

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!