Sunday, October 4, 2015

2015-09-27 Harpers Ferry, WV

Harpers Ferry, WV
Sunday, September 27, 2015 
With Amy, My Sister Mary, and My Brother-in-Law Scott

Harpers Ferry, WV from Maryland Heights

Last weekend, Amy and I drove up to Virginia for an extended weekend visit with my family.  We spent most of the weekend at my brother Bill's house, but for some reason, despite how cute my niece and nephew are, my camera did not make it out of the bag while we were there.

On Sunday Amy and I decided to pass on the marathon day of kids sporting events and instead met up with my sister Mary and her husband Scott for a visit to Harpers Ferry, WV.

 Amy, Mary, and Scott walking through downtown Harpers Ferry

Harpers Ferry is a historical little town located at the point where the Shenandoah River joins the Potomac.  Much of the town and the surrounding area has been turned into a National Park.  It is also home to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy Headquarters and is considered to be the half-way point along the Appalachian Trail.

We hiked a very short section of the AT through downtown Harpers Ferry, and up to Jefferson Rock.

 Amy and Mary by St. Peter's Church

Mary at Jefferson Rock
 
 Mary at Jefferson Rock

From there we meandered through the Harper Cemetery and worked our way back downtown.

 The Harper Cemetery

I managed to convince Amy and my sister Mary to hike the Maryland Heights Trail, which is about a 5-mile round trip hike from downtown Harpers Ferry and back.  Scott decided to skip the hike and instead found a bar downtown to enjoy some football and FABs, while Amy, Mary, and I crossed over into Maryland and hiked up Maryland Heights!

The Appalachian Trail crossing over from WV to MD

The Potomac River

Entering Maryland

 Looking Up at Maryland Heights Cliffs

The climb was steep enough that it turned out to be not quite Amy approved, but she pushed through and we all enjoyed the spectacular view of downtown Harpers Ferry from Maryland Heights!

Me on Maryland Heights Cliffs overlooking Harpers Ferry, WV

Mary on Maryland Heights Cliffs overlooking the Potomac River

 Amy on Maryland Heights Cliffs


After completing our hike, we met back up with Scott, treated ourselves to some Ice Cream before heading on back into Virginia.  It was a very enjoyable day, and I would definitely be up for another visit to Harpers Ferry, WV.

The complete set of photos is posted here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8146392@N05/albums/72157657150254673




No comments:

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!