Friday, August 21, 2009

SSPBDT Poker Night Report

SSPBDT Poker Night
Thursday, August 20th, 2009


The Players:

Jack Thyen
Jeff Martin
Steve Jeffery
Brian Ludwiczak
Scott Moore

Supporting Cast:

Amy Thyen
Lori Martin
Melinda Moore
Christopher Moore


Due to the late arrival of Steve and Jeff, the first hand was delayed by about an hour. While waiting for the late arrivals, I fired up the grill and the rest of us enjoyed a meal of Grilled Shrimp Skewers (with shrimp, pineapple, onions, & mild hot peppers) and Corn-on-the-Cob.

Once the late arrivals made their appearance, they downed a few Skewers and the poker playing began.

While the guys played poker, Scott’s son Christopher hung out in the den watching cartoons, and the wives hung out in the kitchen chatting the night away. Lot’s of girl talk since Jeff’s wife Lori recently found out she was pregnant!

On the poker table, my stack of chips was getting smaller and smaller. That is, until the turnaround hand of the night. After “passing the trash” I was left with a straight. After the first (4) cards where revealed, I realized that no matter what anyone had left in the hole, they could not beat a straight. So I made the biggest bet of the evening.

Steve & Jeff thought I was bluffing and matched my bet. Brian thought he had a higher straight and matched my bet as well. The final card was revealed and I showed my A-2-3-4-5 straight. Then Brian tried to rake in the pot with his 8-9-10-J-K. Either he accidentally threw out the wrong card, or just miss-read his cards, but he clearly did not have a straight, and I pulled in the biggest pot of the evening!

Mistakes like that happen at SSPBDT poker night. After all, we had been drinking!

However, I believe this is the first time ever that Steve did not make up any imaginary hands. He had a few full houses and flushes that actually were full houses and flushes! While he still ended up down $3.00 for the evening he was not the biggest loser!
That award went to Scott Moore, who walked away with $5.00 less than what he started with. I probably would have gotten the biggest loser award, but that one big pot near the end put me up $2.00 for the night.

The big winners of the night were Jeff and Brian who each ended up $3.00 ahead.

I wonder how much baby food, formula, and diapers that $3.00 will buy?

A great time was had by all!



The proposed date for the next monthly SSPBDT Poker night is:
Thursday, September 24th, 2009

No comments:

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!