Wednesday, May 4, 2016

2016-04-30 Waterfalls, Wildflowers, Lizards, and Bees


 Waterfalls, Wildflowers, Lizards, and Bees
A return trip to one of my new favorite waterfalls,
Melrose Falls with Brenda,
and a bit of solo hiking in the Green River Gamelands
Henderson and Polk County, NC
Saturday, April 30th, 2016


 Brenda and Me at one of my new favorite North Carolina Waterfalls

Recently Mark and I visited what has become one of my new favorite waterfalls.  Since this waterfall is on private property, I was asked not to post the name, location, or directions.

Unfortunately on that first trip, I had forgot my camera and had to settle for cell phone shots.  So for this weekend, I decided to make a return visit with Brenda. 

We got a nice early start to arrive before the sun rose over the ridge and were rewarded with just about perfect photo conditions to capture this beauty! 




Next up we headed on over to Melrose Falls (between Saluda and Tryon, NC).  Waterfall Rich had recently posted a write-up on his www.ncwaterfalls.com website where I found out that I missed some of the lower drops during my visit this past February.

 One of the Lower Drops of Melrose Falls

The lower drop of Melrose Falls is definitely not the tallest of the drops, but in my opinion it is the most photogenic of all the drops along Big Falls Creek.

After exploring the lower drops, we backtracked a bit and headed on up to the rocks overlooking the main drop of Melrose Falls.  This one is much more impressive in person! 

The main drop of Melrose Falls

Brenda was hoping to finish up by about 11:00am, so we skipped on visiting the upper drops, just above and underneath the railroad trestle.

I still had all afternoon, so for my main hike of the day, I visited the Trails of the Green River Gamelands.   I did the loop shown below (counter-clockwise).
My Hike Route highlighted in yellow
Starting at the Far Right and doing the loop counter-clockwise

 Here are a few photos from my Trails of the Green River Gamelands hike:


 Stair Step Falls

Male Fence Lizard

Cool Burl (aka Tree Tumor)

Butterfly on Fleabane Daisy

Green and Gold

Kayaker on the Green River

Buzzing Around on a Rock

 The Green River

The complete set of photos is posted here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8146392@N05/albums/72157667800879816





No comments:

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!