Jack and Amy's House
One of our summertime home improvement projects for 2009 was to put down laminate hardwood flooring in our den and hallway. We finally got started! Since I probably won't be going on any outdoor adventures until we are complete, I thought for the next few Blog posts I would post some photos and updates about how our project is going.
Friday, July 17th, 2009
- We emptied all the bookcases and moved the furniture into our dining room and hallway.The current status of our dining room (at least that hardwood was already down when we bought the house)
- Next we tore up all the carpeting, foam carpet pad, tack strips, and hundreds of staples used to set the foam carpet pad in place. It was close to midnight before we called it a night!
Photos just after
start of project:
Hallway looking into the Den
Saturday, July 18th, 2009
- We took a trip to the dump to dispose of all the old carpeting and material that we
- We drove to Lumber Liquidators in
to see if they had anything better than what Amy picked out at Lowes, or to see if they had the same stuff at a better price. We were not impressed with Lumber Liquidators Simpsonville, SC
- We went to Lowes and purchased (36) boxes of Pergo Laminate Flooring, (20) strips
of quarter round molding, and miscellaneous other tools and material.
- The project came to a temporary halt as my buddy Johnny called and invited us to go on
a late afternoon / evening sunset sail on
(see previous Blog post) Lake Jocassee
- We could not really have gotten started anyway as the instructions say the wood needs to get acclimated to the temperature and humidity level of the house before beginning.
Sunday, July 19th, 2009
- I completed the most difficult section of the Den, including around the fireplace,
alongside the built in bookcase, and the transition from the den to the kitchen. This was a little slow going as I was still learning and there were a lot of different cuts to make.
Photos from Sunday:
Monday, July 20th, 2009
- Since it was a work day, I only had a few hours to put towards the project. However, since I was now in the wide open section of the den, things move very quickly. I hope to be able to finish up the Flooring portion of the Den on Tuesday.
- Then I will work on the molding in the Den.
I need to 100% complete the den before starting the hallway, as some of the furniture from the Den is setting in the hallway right now.
Photos from Monday: