Monday, June 27, 2016

2016-06-24 High Falls on the West Fork of the Tuckasegee

High Falls
on the West Fork of the Tuckasegee
Jackson County, NC
Friday, June 24th, 2016





I planned on making a few stops along the way to the Team Waterfall Kayak Camping Weekend.  I decided to pass on Silver Run Falls since the parking area was overflowing with vehicles.  Instead I ended up at High Falls on the West Fork of the Tuckasegee.


High Falls on the West Fork of the Tuckasegee

There is a Dam a short distance upstream so the water flow of this one can vary greatly depending on how much water they are releasing.   I still need to get back here during one of the scheduled full releases!  I hear it is a spectacular sight to see.


High Falls on the West Fork of the Tuckasegee

I continued downstream to check out Rough Run Falls and was very unimpressed.  The poor photo conditions and No Trespassing sign in front of the falls did not help matters.

Rough Run Falls

 The hike to High Falls is a little less than a mile (one way).  However it descends about 700 feet in elevation.   I built up quite a sweat hiking back up.  Fortunately the Thorpe Reservoir is located right across the road from the trailhead, so I was able to cool off by taking my first of many swims of the weekend.

 
 The Thorpe Reservoir.
A great place for a swim after the hike to High Falls

Taco!  My Kayak Transport
Onward to the next part of the Team Waterfall Kayak Camping Weekend!


No comments:

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!