Tuesday, April 16, 2019

2019-04-13 Birthday/Anniversary weekend to Virginia

Blue Ridge Virginia Weekend
Thursday, April 11th through Sunday April 14th, 2019

Group Photo at Virginia Mountain Vineyards
L to R:  Dad, Mom, Scott, Mary, Me, Amy, Conner, Katie

For our Anniversary and my Birthday weekend, Amy and I planned a little weekend getaway.  We found a large house on Airbnb that really intrigued us.  This entire 4,400 square foot home was not much more than a typical hotel room in the area.  And there was plenty of room to accommodate my entire side of the family! 

 Our Airbnb rental house in Blue Ridge, VA


Along the way, Amy and I spent a few hours in Blacksburg, VA to visit my Alma Mater, Virginia Tech!  I always enjoy getting back and walking around campus to see all that has changed since I graduated almost 30 years ago!

At the Virginia Tech Athletic Center / VT Sports Museum

Me with the Hokie Bird

Burruss Hall - Virginia Tech

The Virginia Tech April 16th Memorial

Memorial Hokie Stone for a lost friend!
"Jamie"Bishop

Norris Hall - The location of the April 16th Massacre

Torgersen Hall - One of the Many new buildings on Campus
named after the late Paul Torgersen, my favorite professor and faculty advisor at Virginia Tech


After a nice visit to Virginia Tech and a tasty lunch in downtown Blacksburg, we continued on to our rental house.  My parents arrived shortly after and we headed on over to the new Ballast Point Brewery for some beer and dinner!  
Me with my Mom and Dad at the Ballast Point Brewery

 
The Ballast Point Brewery

Enjoying some brews with my Dad!

Blue Ridge Sunset from the Ballast Point Brewery

Since our rental house was located less than a mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway and about 5 miles from the Appalachian Trail, I decided to get a little hike in on Friday Morning.

 along the Blue Ridge Parkway

 view from the Blue Ridge Parkway
(I was hoping for a sunrise!)

 view from the Blue Ridge Parkway

view from the Blue Ridge Parkway

Along the Appalachian Trail

Leaving my mark in the Wilson Creek Appalachian Trail log book!

I did about 6 miles (3 miles each way) from the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Wilson Creek Shelter and back.

My sister and her family arrived later that day we had a very enjoyable rest of the weekend together! 

 
My sister Mary and her husband Scott

  
 The upstairs family room of the rental house


 View from near the rental house

Downstairs family room / wet bar 

Unfinished side of the lower level with a Gym and Sauna

Not sure the purpose of this hallway, but it made for a good place to hang movie posters!

 Pool table

 Interesting artwork

Our rental house

 Katie, Conner, and Mary in the Hot Tub

 Sunset view from near the rental house

 Jack and Amy Selfie outside the Rental House

My complete set of photos is posted here:
 

No comments:

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!