Tuesday, October 1, 2019

2019-09-12 Washington State - Day 5 - My first Sunrise/Rainbow

Washington State Trip - Day 5  (Last Day)
My first Sunrise/Rainbow, Sugarloaf Mountain, and Mount Erie
Cap Sante Park and Anacortes Community Forest Lands
Anacortes, Washington 
Thursday, September 12th, 2019



 My first ever sunrise/rainbow
from Cap Sante Park - Anacortes, WA

Since I only had the morning available for hiking I decided to stay on the island and explore some of the Anacortes Community Forest Lands.  I also planned to head up to Cap Sante Park to hopefully catch a sunrise.

Cap Sante Park is not very large, but it does offer up about 270 degree views making it the perfect spot for both Sunrise or Sunset.  The fact that it is only about a 15 minute walk (or 5 minute drive) from our hotel was an added bonus!

It was pouring down rain at 5:00am which almost caused me to skip the sunrise.  Fortunately I checked the radar and it didn't appear to be a very large storm.  By the time I got to the Cap Sante Park overlook, the rain had mostly stopped and a small break in the clouds opened up along the Eastern horizon!

Even my color blind eyes had no problems noticing the explosion of color that was happening!

 Sunrise from Cap Sante Park - Anacortes, WA

Sunrise from Cap Sante Park - Anacortes, WA


And then something even more magical happened!  A rainbow appeared over Anacortes!

 Rainbow over Anacortes



 Sunrise from Cap Sante Park

This was the first time in my life that I have ever witnessed a sunrise and a rainbow at the exact same time.  So I decided to capture the scene with a panorama!

Sunrise / Rainbow Panorama from Cap Sante Park
Anacortes, WA

Less than a minute later the colors changed and the rainbow has almost disappeared


I've experienced hundreds of sunrises over the years and this one currently holds the top spot on my list of all time favorites! 


After sunrise, I continued on to the Anacortes Community Forest Lands to hike Sugarloaf Mountain and Mount Erie.  Here are some of the photos from my hike:


View from Sugarloaf Mountain

Sugarloaf Mountain Panorama

 view from Sugarloaf Mountain

 view from Sugarloaf Mountain

 View from Mount Erie

 Mount Erie Panorama

 Distant view of Mount Rainier (approx. 150 miles away) 
from Mount Erie

 view from Mount Erie


Overall this hike was about 5.0 miles with an elevation gain of approximately 1,300 feet.  Here is the GPS track from the hike:




Later that afternoon we made the drive back to SeaTac!  My final bit of exploring was around Angle Lake near the SeaTac airport.


Angle Lake - SeaTac, Washington


I absolutely love the Pacific Northwest!   I can't wait until my next visit!


My complete set of photos from the final day of our Washington Trip is posted here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8146392@N05/albums/72157711143270266
  

1 comment:

tya6i said...

Blogging has evolved quite play bazaar bit since the early days of the Internet. Now, there are powerful tools that you can use to publish your blog with ease. The more you know about these tools,Satta King the easier it will be to blog. Learn more about using WordPress by reading this article.

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!