Monday, September 30, 2019

2019-09-11 Washington State - Day 4 - Hidden Lake

Washington State Trip - Day 4
Mount Baker National Forest and
North Cascades National Park
Hidden Lake Trail
Wednesday, September 11th, 2019

 

Hidden Lake - North Cascades National Park


For my final full day of hiking, I decided to return to the North Cascades and hike the Hidden Lake Trail!   

Roadside view along the drive to the trailhead
 
 The Hidden Lake Trailhead

The Hidden Lake Trail starts out in the Mount Baker National Forest and enters the North Cascades National Park near Hidden Lake.   It starts out following the East Fork of Sibley Creek gaining elevation the entire way.  The first mile is mostly thick forest before entering a beautiful valley where the views start opening up!


View from the Hidden Lake Trail

Along the Hidden Lake Trail

view from the Hidden Lake Trail

Eventually the views mostly disappeared as I entered into some thick fog for much of the hike.  I can imagine there are some really spectacular views on a clear day.  Fortunately I love hiking in the fog, so I was not disappointed!


 Heading into the Fog along the Hidden Lake Trail

Heading up the Hidden Lake Trail


 View from the Hidden Lake Trail  

 Above the Clouds Selfie on the Hidden Lake Trail


 A few lingering patches of snow along the Hidden Lake Trail


Big Birds along the Hidden Lake Trail 
(I believe a type of Ptarmigan ???) 


 

Almost to the top!
(the high point of my hike is straight ahead)



 Entering the North Cascades National Park

Hidden Lake 

Hidden Lake

Just enough of an opening in the clouds to see some impressive peaks and glaciers!


The Hidden Lake Lookout Tower

Inside the Hidden Lake Lookout Tower

The Hidden Lake Lookout Tower

Hidden Lake
For a sense of scale there are two humans near the bottom of the photo

Looking back up at the Hidden Lake Lookout Tower
(near the Upper Left of Photo)

view from the Hidden Lake Trail during the hike back down


I loved every bit of this hike!  If I ever get a chance to return to the area, this one will be on my list of hikes to do again during a clearer day!  

The total hike distance was about 9.0 miles (approx. 4.5 miles out and back) with an elevation gain of about 3,700 feet.  Here is the GPS track from my hike.




 Later that evening after the drive back to Anacortes and a nice Dinner I headed up to Cap Sante Park for Sunset.  It was far from the prettiest sunset I have seen from this spot, but it was my first time this week that Mount Baker was visable!

View of Mount Baker from Cap Sante Park, Anacortes, WA

Sunset over Anacortes from Cap Sante Park
 
view from Cap Sante Park

 The Anacortes Marina at night


My complete set of photos from Day 4 is posted here:


   


1 comment:

tya6i said...

Be sure to stay on top of updates! play bazaar any updates to add-ons or Wordpress itself are security-based, meaning your site could be compromised if you don't update the software. If it's telling you a new update is available, Satta King install it as soon as possible to protect your site from harm.

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!