Sunday, June 10, 2012

CMLC Hike to Connestee Falls
Transylvania County, NC
Saturday, June 9th, 2012

 Connestee Falls

I have stopped several times at the Connestee Falls Overlook along US-276.  However, this public viewpoint really doesn't provide a good view of the waterfall.  I have always wanted to get a better view!  Unfortunately all the trails that lead to good viewpoints are on private property.

When I saw that the Carolina Mountain and Land Conservancy (CMLC) was offering a hike inside the private and Gated Connestee Falls Community that would lead to the view of the falls that I always wanted, I just had to sign up!

My buddies Andy and Darrin also decided they wanted to take advantage of this rare opportunity!  I met Andy in Spartanburg and we rode together up to the Connesstee Falls Overlook where we would meet the rest of the group.  During the drive, I noticed that the low tire pressure warning light on my dash was lit up.  Once we parked, we found my left rear tire was significantly low.  Not quite flat, but definitely a good bit lower than it should be.

We decided to worry about that later and loaded our stuff into Darrin's vehicle to follow the leader to the tailhead inside the Connestee Falls Community.

 Lake Ticoa - near the trailhead inside the Connestee Falls Development

Since there is generally a large number of people who sign up for these CMLC hikes, the group was split into (3) smaller groups.  Our group consisted of Penny, our hike leader, Andy, Darrin, Me, and three other women who's names I can't recall (I am horrible with remembering names!).

Since these trails are all on private property and not accessible to the public, I am not going to post any directions or details.  Instead just share some of my photos.
  Many of the trails cross very steep terrain.
But well designed and constructed switchbacks make things much easier


Connestee Falls.  The view I've wanted to see for a long time.
The platform above is the viewpoint open to the public which is not very good

Middle Falls on Batson Creek


Upper Falls on Batson Creek

Our hike leader Penny was a wonderful guide and was very patient with us, giving us plenty of time to photograph the waterfalls.  I really enjoyed the hike and appreciated the opportunity to check out these trails and waterfalls!

The Complete set of photos is posted here:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/582938151wGxYXe

No comments:

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!