Saturday, October 10, 2020

2020-10-08 Pisgah Loop Hike

Pisgah National Forest Loop Hike
Transylvania County, NC
Thursday, October 8th, 2020
 
Sunrise along the Mountains-to-Sea Trail
 


Mark and I enjoyed a nice 13-mile loop hike around the Pisgah National Forest.

I started the day by bushwhacking to a rock outcrop above the Blue Ridge Parkway that I thought would offer a nice sunrise vantage point.  I was correct!
 

Shortly after sunrise, I met Mark at the Buck Spring Gap Trailhead to begin our hike.

We started along the Mountains to Sea Trail (MTS Trail) hiking southwest past the Pisgah Inn to the Barnett Branch Trail which we hiked down to FR1206

Selfie with Mark at the start of our hike


The Pisgah Inn along the Mountains-to-Sea Trail


Looking South


Upper Barnett Branch Trail Falls


Barnett Branch Trail Falls


I was a bit concerned about traffic along FR1206.  However, the 2.5 mile road walk along FR1206 turned out to be a pleasant stroll through the forest.  We did not see any humans or vehicles, but did encounter two snakes on the road.
 
I am not a snake expert, but this one was definitely non-poisonous, so I was comfortable going in for a close-up.  He (or she) was not too happy about that and tried to take a bite out of my Apple!




We hiked up the Thompson Creek Trail and did the short bushwhack to Lower Thompson Ridge Trail Falls which turned out to be much nicer than expected!
Mark at the Thompson Creek Trailhead

Thompson Ridge Falls

Thompson Ridge Falls



From FR1206 the Thompson Creek Trail gains almost 2,000 feet to the summit of Little Bald Mountain.

view from Little Bald Mountain

Mark at the Summit of Little Bald Mountain


We enjoyed some nice fall color on the last section of the MTS trail back to the Buck Spring Gap Trailhead.





Here is the GPS Track from our hike.  
Note: I forgot to start the track until we were already about a half mile in



It was a beautiful day to be outside!
 
My complete set of photos is posted here:
 

No comments:

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!