Friday, July 20, 2018

2018-07-09 Washington State Trip - Day 3

Jack and Amy's Trip to Washington State
Day 3 - Monday, July 9th, 2018
North Cascades National Park, Gorge Overlook Trail,
Gorge Creek Falls, Diablo Lake Overlook, East Bank Trail,
Ross Lake, and the Jack Mountain Trail 

View from Jack Mountain 
North Cascades National Park

Since this was a business trip for Amy, I would be on my own during the day Monday through Friday.  For Monday, I decided to make the 2 hour drive (each way) into the North Cascades National Park.

Entering North Cascades National Park

My first stop would be a short loop hike of a little less than a mile on the Gorge Overlook Trail.  A nice little warm up hike.  Gorge Creek Falls is much more impressive in person.


View from the Gorge Overlook Trail

Gorge Creek Falls (much more impressive in person!)

I continued up the North Cascade Scenic Highway stopping at a few overlooks, my favorite being the Diablo Lake Overlook.

Diablo Lake

Diablo Lake

Diablo Lake

 Diablo Lake Panorama (click on photo for full size view)


For my main hike of the day, I just couldn't pass on the Jack Mountain Trail.  I also included a section of the East Bank Trail as part of my hike.

 My main hikes for the day

The East Bank Trail follows a fairly constant elevation making for an easy hike to a nice area on the shores of the Ruby Arm of Ross Lake.

View of Ross Lake from the end of the East Bank Trail

View of Ross Lake from the end of the East Bank Trail

view of Ross Lake from the end of the East Bank Trail

From there, I backtracked a bit and then hit the Jack Mountain Trail.  There was nothing easy about this trail!  Over the next 4.5 miles I gained almost 4,200 feet in elevation!

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/e4fmzN74gtfpokoFw3cmlevm/?layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet

Fortunately there were some awesome views and an impressive display of wildflowers to make the climb worth while!  Here are some photos from my hike up Jack Mountain!

View from the Jack Mountain Trail

 View from the Jack Mountain Trail

 Wildflowers along the Jack Mountain Trail

 view from the Jack Mountain Trail

 View from the Jack Mountain Trail

 Jack Mountain Panorama (click on photo for full size view)

 View from the Jack Mountain Trail

 view from the Jack Mountain Trail

 Jack Mountain Panorama (click on photo for full size view)

view from the Jack Mountain Trail

I had an awesome day hiking in the North Cascades National Park!

Later that evening after I returned back to the hotel, Amy and I had a nice evening together.  We went up to the rooftop lounge for sunset, but it was a bit too cloudy, so instead we just enjoyed each others company!

 Amy and Jack Selfie on the Majestic Inn Rooftop Lounge

view from the Majestic Inn Rooftop Lounge

My complete set of photos from Day 3 is posted here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8146392@N05/albums/72157696091413292

1 comment:

Eeyore said...

That is some gorgeous country.

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!