Sunday, June 12, 2011

Grandfather Mountain Nature Photography Weekend
Grandfather Mountain State Park
Avery County, NC

Day 3 - Saturday, June 5th, 2011
The Photo Contest Results


After a late night photographing the night sky and hanging out with friends around the campfire, I managed to sleep in and miss out on the sunrise. I did wander around the animal habitats to snap a few photos before the first presentation of the day.

Otter


Unicorn Deer


At 9:00am, Mollie Isaacs and Mary Lindhjem, shared some awesome photos and a plethora of photography tips and techniques. After that, was the photo contest awards presentation.

They started off by showing a bunch of notable, but non-winning photos. One of my three photos was put up on the big screen and I was very pleased to hear a bunch of ooohs and aaahs from the audience. It was one of my night sky shots and I have to say it looked a lot better on the big screen that on my lousy laptop!

But the highlight for me was when they presented the showed the winning photographs and presented the certificates to the winners. My other two photographs took a third place and an honorable mention. 


Did anyone else notice that they got the date wrong on the certificates?


I did enter into the "Beginner" class so it is not that great of an accomplishment, but I was still proud.  Since I won something in the Beginner class, next year (and I do plan on coming back next year), I will have to enter in the "Accomplished" class where the competition, talent, and gear is much greater.  I'll be competing against photographers that have lenses worth more than my truck!

This is what I will be competing against next year

As I viewed all the rest of the winning photographs I was in awe of some of the talent in the auditorium with me.

It was a great weekend!

2 comments:

KT said...

Congradulations Jack!

Mark said...

Congrats on the 3 pics! The night shot was my favorite of the bunch!

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!