Friday, September 2, 2011

My Photography Buddy Dave!

My Photography Buddy Dave
Grandfather Mountain, NC
It was a great weekend at Grandfather Mountain!  I really enjoyed getting together with my buddy Dave hanging around the campfire in the evenings and seeing what we could find to photograph during the day!
I met Dave about 10 years ago as part of the now defunct Waterfall Wandering group. It was that group and photographers like Dave that caused me to get into photography. In fact, I thought so much of Dave’s work that I asked him to photograph my wedding several years ago.


Dave was also one of the ones that led me on to the Grandfather Mountain Photography Weekends.

Here are a few shots of Dave shooting the Sunset Friday Evening.







Now for a story:

One of the first times I met Dave was on a Waterfall Wandering Group hike to Raven Cliff Falls in the Mountain Bridge Wilderness of South Carolina. The group hiked 2.5 miles down to the waterfall overlook only to find the fog so think that you could not see the waterfall.

The group eventually gave up on seeing Raven Cliff Falls and hiked back up to the parking area. Except for Dave! He decided to wait around for the fog to clear and his patience paid off as the fog eventually did break leaving a small window of just about perfect photo conditions!


This story is typical of our two very different styles of photography! I don’t have a whole lot of patience. When I go somewhere I like to see and photograph as much as possible as quickly a possible!  Waiting around for something to happen and those perfect conditions to come around is not something I have the patience for.

Dave on the other hand is content to find one spot and wait patiently for those perfect conditions to come around. Many times he won’t even bother clicking the shutter if the conditions aren’t ideal.

And that is one of the reasons why I think Dave is a much better photograph than I am.

You can see some of Dave's photos from the weekend by clicking here!:



No comments:

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!