Friday, April 2, 2010

The North Carolina Arboretum

The North Carolina Arboretum
Asheville, NC
Friday, April 2nd, 2010

I knew my parents were coming into town for Easter Weekend, but I had a welcomed surprise when my Aunt Barbara showed up with them! Aunt Barbara (aka Aunt Babs), who also happens to be my Godmother, is the only one of my relatives that still lives up North (Connecticut), and it has been several years since I last saw her. My wife Amy was in on the surprise, but I had no idea she was coming!

For today, Amy and I decided to take my parents and Aunt Babs up to the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville, NC.  Despite driving past it many times on trips to the Blue Ridge Parkway, we had never made a visit to the Arboretum.

For more info on the NC Arboretum, check out the official link:
http://www.ncarboretum.org/
It was a beautiful spring day with full sunshine and temperatures in the mid 80s. We spent a few hours strolling through the gardens enjoying the day and the plethora of blooms.

Here are few shots from our visit
Daffodil

Buzzing around the Cherry Blossoms

Bird - What Kind?  I have no idea

Daffodil


My wife Amy!

Star Magnolia


As we were getting ready to leave, a gentleman saw me with my camera and asked if I was interested in wildflowers. He proceeded to tell us a spot where some Oconee Bells were blooming.

The Oconee Bells are a very rare wildflower that are only found in a relatively small area around Oconee County, SC. Thanks to the tip, we found a nice cluster of Oconee Bells blooming along the "Carolina Mountain Trail".

Small Bee on an Oconee Bell

 
Oconee Bell Macro Shot

Additional Photos are posted here:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/577212994KWXYCB

Amy and I will definitely be making a return visit to the NC Arboretum! 

5 comments:

Sheila said...

I really like the last one, I don't think I have seen a flower like it. They are all very nice though.

Jack Thyen said...

Thanks Sheila! The Oconee Bell is a very rare wildflower. Not one you are likely to just stumble across!

wayne15575 said...

Great set. I like how you always include Amy in your sets. That's great.

James Robert Smith said...

Nice to see the camera at work! I've also passed that arboretum dozens of times without having the curiosity to stop and see it. I always figured there was enough flora growing along the ridges and trails to keep me happy. But Carole and I should go.

Mr. J said...

Super photos with the new lens, Jack. The bottom two are very well-composed, and I also like the star magnolia shot.

Meet Zoey

 Meet Zoey! Amy and I just adopted this beautiful girl!